In November of 1704, a small group first gathered to form what would become Little Compton's beloved United Congregational Church. The first structure went up in 1724, served the parishioners for over 100 years, and was demolished in 1832.
Its timbers, and all the history absorbed in them, were used for a simple, single-story church - the foundation of the one we worship in today.
As the years passed, the building survived multiple renovations and natural disasters. The congregation survived changing lifestyles and attitudes. Thirty-two ministers have helped write our magnificent history.
Throughout this journey, our faith has deepened. Today, our illuminated church steeple symbolizes the love in our church, and in our hearts. May it forever shine. (written for the church's 300th anniversary-2004)
This is one of the oldest Congregational churches in the state of Rhode Island. It was founded by people who came here from Plymouth and Duxbury. Among its first communicants was Elizabeth Alden Pabodie, daughter of John and Priscilla Alden, whose body lies buried in our church yard. Her son, William was a charter member of this Church. Another early member was Colonel Benjamin Church, a victor in King Philip's War, who built the first white man's homestead here in 1675.
For a complete list of our pastors, click on the file below